Mon. May 16th, 2022

Real Madrid kicked off their 2020 campaign in the worst possible way on Sunday, as they were beaten by Getafe in LaLiga Santander. The manager Carlo Ancelotti was seriously unhappy with the performance.
Real Madrid players were sluggish and the Coach admitted that their performance this year was far behind that of the side that ended last year on a good note.

We reacted well for 10 minutes after the goal and then became nervous,” Ancelotti said. “We lost balls and battles.

“There’s not a lot to say about the game. We stayed on holidays for an extra day. We weren’t the same team that ended the year.

“We were less focused, less committed. A draw would have been fair because we didn’t deserve to lose, but we gifted a goal and we lost.

“It could be a wake-up call. We seemed like we were still on holidays.”

Some of the coach’s selection choices raised eyebrows ahead of kick off and during the game, most notably Marcelo‘s involvement and that Eden Hazard was left out of the XI.

“We decided to play with [Marco] Asensio and Rodrygo [Goes],” Ancelotti explained. “I preferred to start with them.

“I knew they wouldn’t last 90 minutes because of the COVID situation, that’s why I left Hazard for the second half and he was brilliant when he came on, linking well with Marcelo.”

Despite the loss, though, the Italian is still optimistic and pleased with his team’s work.

“After training yesterday [Saturday] I told the players that I really liked what I saw,” Ancelotti said. “They were switched on, competitive.

“It’s not a criticism, because the coach was also on holidays today. We’re still leaders, without a crisis, and we’ll keep going with a lot of motivation.”

By Nwosu Chizoba David

Nwosu Chizoba David is a soccer lover and writer. He is a graduate of Biological Sciences, presently teaching in a secondary in Lagos.

Leave a Reply